Monday, July 2, 2012

How to manage Firefox memory appetite (improve memory usage)

If you're Firefox fan just like me, and like to keep 101 tabs open all the time, you probably noticed - no matter even if you have 8GB or more RAM on your super-duper PC how Firefox tends to eat up more than 1GB of it very easily, even the newest versions with all the memory reduction techniques implemented.


That Firefox developers are missing something regarding it's memory usage was definitely proved when I ran into a small utility called Firemin and installed it. WOW, almost 1GB went down to only 15-20MB!! Since I wanted to make sure it is compatible with all of my installed add-ons (about 60 of them) I tried it for several days and I'm really thrilled about it and would strongly suggest anyone using Firefox to try it out. For more tech oriended visitors I'll just mention Firemin uses a save Microsoft API (EmptyWorkingSet) to force Firefox to release some of the reserved memory without causing stability problems.
Firemin is working like a Firefox wrapper, so you need to run it before starting Firefox. I suggest you to put a shortcut to Firemin in Startup folder and then you'll be free to launch Firefox whenever you like. Definitely a worth to try and usable utility that is actually doing what it should do.

If you found this post to be useful please consider encouraging me to keep up the good work. You can easily do it by signing up with Copy.com cloud storage provider. Just click here and you will get 15GB + 5GB for following my link absolutely FREE. This way I'll get 5GB too.

No comments:

Post a Comment