Friday, July 1, 2011

How to 'undo' closed Windows Explorer windows

The first thing I want to share with you is something that has bothered me for a long time, and even took me quite some time to find available solution. But hey, what am I talking about you must be wondering? OK, so let me start with a question to you. How many times have you accidentally deleted some file or folder on your computer? Often or less often there is always a way to restore them - that's why they invented Recycle Bin, right? Even if you use famous Shift + Delete combination which bypasses sending files/folders to Recycle Bin there are still a lot of utilities to help you restore your data. But, what is happening when we come to question/functionality to restore closed Windows Explorer (WE) windows? Can we restore them too? Some of advanced file manager software solved this problem, but they can't help you out when you are using WE, so I will not talk about them here.


From my current experience it can happen that my fingers are just a bit faster than my thinking process and I simply start closing WE windows before I've actually finished all operations I planned to do. And now I want to copy some files from location A to location B, but have closed WE window with location B too early, before I was done. I was annoyed with a fact every time this has happened I needed to open WE and had to navigate to location B again. This problem made me to intensively start searching for a solution. It seemed a pretty simple task as I was just looking for an 'Undo' to be able to easily restore closed WE window. As you probably know by now, this is quite common feature in today's Internet viewers, but there is no such native feature in Windows OS.

After quite some time spent on search engines looking out for a tool that might help me out I finally found a solution to solve my problem. I found a small freeware utility named Folder View that simply resides in system tray and remembers up to 10 last closed WE windows. It also enables you to define shortcuts to most used folders. And I was saved. No more clicking all over folders to get back to closed location, with just one click it was back! But I was just surprised how hard was to find this little utility on Internet search engines.

Mentioned utility will work flawlessly on most Microsoft operating systems including Windows 7, even it is not stated on the it's homepage. Unfortunately, it's full functionality or at least for me the most important one - ability to restore closed WE windows is available only on x32 architecture. It will install on x64, but it will not be able to 'undo' closed WE windows. As it seems for now, author has not provided a working solution for this, so I was forced to keep looking for x64 solution to 'undo' my closed WE windows.

And again, after quite some time spent on Internet searching, I finally found a utility which is able to provide 'undo' functionality on both x32 and x64 architecture named Direct Folders. The 'catch 22' with this piece of software is that it comes in both freeware and commercial versions, but unfortunately free version doesn't support so much needed feature to 'undo' closed WE windows. It just supports creating shortcuts to access to most used folders. But, if you really need this feature paying 14.95 EUR (arount 21.73 USD, by current exchange rate) will definitely be worth it.

Hope this will help you as much as it helped me.

Update: In the meantime I discovered another piece of software that can do the same trick of restoring closed Windows Explorer windows by the name of Moo0 RightClicker (yeah quite original name!). There is a free an dcommercial version, as far as I'm aware both of them can restore closed Windows Explorer windows. Alos be sure to chech completee Moo0's site as it has some quite useful software for free.

Informations provided in this post have been updated in this post. Feel free to check it out.

If you found this post to be useful please consider encouraging me to keep up the good work. You can easily do it by signing up with Copy.com cloud storage provider. Just click here and you will get 15GB + 5GB for following my link absolutely FREE. This way I'll get 5GB too.

No comments:

Post a Comment