Wednesday, August 29, 2012

How to automatically close various Windows application's dialogs

Recently I started to search for a program (application) which would help me to nicely and quietly get rid of certain dialogs produced by free versions of certain Windows applications. I'll stay low this time and not explicitly name those applications - they're yours to discover ,-). So here is a quick review of what I've found and how they work. Of course that free versions are preferred over paid ones, so I'll start with them. And just one note before I continue - this post's main focus is NOT about closing various Internet browser's windows opened by various ads, but could be used it this manner if you configure them properly.


1st) ClickOff - 100% free unwanted dialog closer, works very smoothly and has several options you can choose from to select how and when to close selected dialogs (windows) and/or click certain buttons on them. You can assign a hotkey to do all the selections for you. I tested it under Windows XP and Windows 7 64-bit and it is working just like it should. It will start automatically on Windows startup (unless you change this) and will reside quietly in tray. I'm currently using this proggy and I'm quite happy with it. There is just one small little thing - homepage is completely in German so if you're not familiar with it, you can always use Google Translate.

2nd) Window Closer - This is actually the first utility of this kind I found on my quest and I've installed and tried it and as long as I've used it it seemed to do what it supposed to. Seem to have a bit extended set of capabilities compared to ClickOff, but I didn't need them so I didn't explore them in detail. One thing I've noticed with this software is that it has inaccurate instructions on homepage how to use it, but you'll easily figure out the right way, even author could have done this in a much better and smoother way. Another thing which turned me away for this program is fact that I haven't figured what kind of program it actually is, freeware or trialware, since this fact isn't explicitly stated anywhere on program's homepage (even funnier if you click on author's homepage, you won't find a link to this utility on it - at least I haven't been able to find it). But, when you install the program it has an option to unlock all options. Since there was no explicit information about trial period nor which options are actually locked (if any) I decided to uninstall this one when I found ClickOff, before I get used to it and then had to remove it since I wanted a free program. To sum up, Window Closer seems to do exactly what it should, but it's type remains a bit of a mystery. But feel free to visit author's homepage, you might find some interesting automation utilities there, but once again I have no clue if they're free or not

3rd) Automatically Close Popup Windows By Name Software - Sobolsoft very inventively named software is third software I've found, but since it costs $19.99 I didn't even bother to try it since I had a free solutions which worked just fine and honestly feel like this is too much to ask for this kind of utility. But, once again you're free to try it.

4th) Halwegs Fensterpflege - This is actually AutoHotkey's script for managing dialogs (windows), but also for filling in simpler web forms and office documents. You can fetch source code from there as well as 32-bit compiled .exe. If you need a 64-bit version you can easily compile it with this tool (I've also mentioned it earlier in this post) from provided source code. I haven't tried it out, so I don't know if it is or isn't working, but it's your to discover and it's 100% free. And yeah, this page is also completely in German, so once again I suggest using Google Translate if you're not familiar with it.
(seems to be offline).

That's it for now. I hope this helped you at least a bit to find a solution for your needs of automatically closing unwanted Windows dialogs (windows).If you find any other application of the same kind as the ones described here, feel free to contact me or leave you comment below to make this post more relevant.

If you found this post to be useful please consider encouraging me to keep up the good work. You can easily do it by signing up with Copy.com cloud storage provider. Just click here and you will get 15GB + 5GB for following my link absolutely FREE. This way I'll get 5GB too.

No comments:

Post a Comment