Monday, April 30, 2012

Problem with Dell, nVidia drivers and Firefox Toolbar

There was/is an issue that was quite irritating to me and I did a lot of googling to find a solution. After a lot of time spent on-line I've managed to find only one post on this topic, but unfortunately I never managed to find it again and I haven't bookmarked it at the time I've visited it. The main point of mentioning this is that I'm not the first nor the only one with this issue which includes L702x, nVidia drivers and Firefox Toolbar. I remember poster got an answer from nVidia's tech support saying its not their drivers fault, but I can only confirm the same thing as poster that they are the reason for this issue to occur.



Well, what's the point you might ask?

First of all I'm quite sure this issue is Dell related (or might occur on some other models, I don't know), but since it never occurred on my other laptop Asus with same Firefox configuration and nVidia drivers, I can only conclude it is Dell related. This might just as well be nVidia's GT555M as well, but I haven't gone that far to completely check it out nor I'll do that since I've found a source of this problem.

The issue is manifested in not being able to use any of pop-up windows like clicking on bookmarks star in URL location bar, or accessing bookmarks. At first I thought this had something to do with Firefox, but accidentally after upgrading to new version of nVidia's drivers I found out that this was not happening anymore. But, be aware this has happened to me periodically which means new version of drivers can bring back this issue. If this happens, my advice to you is just to revert to previous version which caused no problems.

I don't know if this problem will persist in the future, but for now I've decided to post here versions of nVIDIA drivers and if they work for me or not.

version 296.10 301.42
status working working

I hope this will help someone.

If you found this post to be useful please consider encouraging me to keep up the good work. You can easily do it by signing up with Copy.com cloud storage provider. Just click here and you will get 15GB + 5GB for following my link absolutely FREE. This way I'll get 5GB too.

1 comment:

  1. I have faced this type of issue many times when I install Firefox toolbar but it’s depending upon driver and Operating System configuration.

    ReplyDelete